What’s the best way to keep my car safe?
This is a question on the mind of every vehicle owner. Whether it be the vehicle itself or the valuables in it, car theft is a problem associated with most major cities, and one that doesn’t appear to be on the decline anytime soon. However, by taking a few simple precautions you can limit your exposure to becoming a victim of this crime and an insurance statistic.
Calgary police have offered up the following tips to reduce the risk of vehicle theft:
- Lock up your vehicle; close the windows and sunroof when the vehicle will be unattended. If you park you vehicle in a garage, make sure the overhead garage door and pedestrian door are locked as well. Do not leave a spare key hidden inside the vehicle.
- Consider installing an aftermarket car alarm if your vehicle is not already equipped with one.
- Be aware of where you park. Well lit parking lots and streets with lots of vehicular and pedestrian traffic will help to deter car thefts.
- Do not leave garage door openers in vehicles. Thieves can use them to gain entry to a home.
- Do not leave valuables in plain view in your vehicle. This includes parcels, cell phones, GPS devices, laptops, clothing or money
- Avoid parking in unlit areas at night.
You may not always be able to prevent theft, but by following these tips and using a little common sense you can certainly make it harder too.