winter in canada often has us ready to trade in our boots for sandals, and snow for sandy beaches. whether you are looking to escape for a quick weekend excursion or for a couple weeks of vacation bliss, you’ll want to take some extra safety precautions to ensure your possessions and home remain safe and intact while you and your family are enjoying some rest and relaxation.
here are a few tips to keep in mind before you leave:
- hold your mail – this is as simple as putting a hold on newspaper subscriptions or asking a trusted neighbour to pick up any flyers or papers piling up on your doorstep.
- alert your alarm company – contacting your provider ahead of time is always smart. ensure that before you leave, you have all window and door alarms on.
- make it look like you are home – set light timers and tv timers, leave a car in the driveway, and depending on season, arrange for someone to shovel the walk or mow the lawn.
- keep quiet on social media – announcing vacation on any media platform will alert everyone that you are away. instead, enjoy your time off grid and share stories upon your return.
- lock up your valuables – jewelry, rings, and other important documents should be placed in a fire-proof safe.
- turn off main water supply – this will help prevent any catastrophic water damage due to leaky lines or burst pipes.
- arrange for someone to come check on your place in compliance with what your insurance policy states, if unsure contact your broker.
- rest easy, you’ve taken all the necessary precautions, enjoy yourself.