warmer temperatures and the end of the school year can only mean one thing, summer is officially here. but before you pack up the family car and hit the road (hopefully destined for sandy beaches and state fairs) it’s important to make sure all your insurance bases are covered.
here are a few tips to keep in mind before you leave
- hold your mail – this is as simple as putting a hold on newspaper subscriptions or asking a trusted neighbour to pick up any flyers or papers piling up on your doorstep.
- alert your alarm company – contacting your provider ahead of time is always smart. ensure that before you leave, you have all window and door alarms on.
- make it look like you are home – set light timers and tv timers, leave a car in the driveway, and depending on season, arrange for someone to shovel the walk or mow the lawn.
- keep quiet on social media – announcing vacation on any media platform will alert everyone that you are away. instead, enjoy your time off grid and share stories upon your return.
- lock up your valuables – jewelry, rings, and other important documents should be placed in a fire-proof safe.
- turn off main water supply – this will help prevent any catastrophic water damage due to leaky lines or burst pipes.
- arrange for someone to come check on your place in compliance with what your insurance policy states, if unsure contact your broker.
- rest easy, you’ve taken all the necessary precautions, enjoy yourself.
have a safe and enjoyable summer vacation from all of us at Sproule Insurance.